Monday, April 2, 2012

Literature Circles With Henry and Mudge

For the love of Henry and Mudge! It's all coming together, my students are engaged, reading, writing and speaking about reading.


During intervention time, my students participate in reader's workshop. I meet with a guided reading group while the other students typically work with a buddy on a specific reading strategy. During the first part of the year, I find that more than one buddy often leads to silliness.

But, as the year progressed and the students became comfortable with the expectations I began to wonder about independent literature circles in first grade. These were always apart of my third and fourth grade classrooms, but could my first grade friends really handle this, while actively participating?



Thanks to Stacy at Mrs. Johnson's First Grade, my first graders rose above and beyond my expectations. Stacy's Henry and Mudge Literacy and Math Activities were just what I needed to get my literature circles started.













Honestly, my students are loving working together to read, discuss and write about these stories. I have loved sitting in on the groups, or just passing by and catching them deep in discussion. They beg to have Henry and Mudge literature circle days.



Ahh...it makes me so happy when it all comes together! And believe me this is not always the case!



I hope you'll pop on over to Stacy's blog and check out her Henry and Mudge Literacy & Math Activities.






Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a similar scenario happening in my first grade class. I myself was wondering if I could implement independent literature circles and I am so pleased I have found someone who has done it successfully. Any additional tips you might have to offer are appreciated. Have you used texts other than Henry and Mudge?

    - Kristen

    ReplyDelete